Monday, December 8, 2014

Music Monday (35): 1989

Music Monday is a meme created by yours truly. Let's talk about music..on Mondays!
October 27, 2014 was the day Taylor Swift released her 5th studio album, 1989. 1989 is Taylor's first and official pop album and as a huge fan of hers, I couldn't take it. There's no way she's leaving country--even though we have felt it on her previous album, Red. I went through the five stages of grieving and like all stages of grieving, it always end in acceptance. And I did. So today on our Monday tradition, we'll talk about music--Taylor Swift's 1989!

Mu copy of 1989 deluxe (imported limited edition)!
My copy is a deluxe edition. It includes three bonus tracks and three songwriting voice memos. I listened to the memos several times already and I love it. I love knowing how Tay go through her songwriting, her thoughts, and everything about it. I wish all songs have voice memos. Both standard and deluxe edition includes one (of six) set of 13 Polaroid-like photos (separate from the actual booklet), arranged by Tay herself.

1989 deluxe edition outer cover and back of the CD.
Taylor named her album 1989, her birth year, and apart from her new look, she also have her music like 80's pop. And as Taylor Swift always do on her albums, 1989 songs also have hidden messages from the lyrics printed on the booklet. I didn't have time to decode it but I do know them. I read them accidentally somewhere in the internet. Here's what I thought: from her first track, Welcome to New York to her last track, Clean (bonus tracks doesn't contain hidden messages), it seemed like she told a short story. Like all songs are connected as one. It could have double meaning to some people, but I think it was clever. Polaroid was mentioned on the lyrics of her one track, Out of the Woods, and then everything was like connected. Everything about this album is so clever. I love it. Taylor Swift is so talented and artistic. You'd know she'd make a good one but you'll still end up surprised.



1989



  • Welcome to New York
"It a new soundtrack, I could dance to this beat forevermore."
Let's say, Welcome to NY didn't appeal to me that much. However, I love the part I included above.



  • Blank Space
"Oh my god, look at that face you look like my next mistake" 
"Coz darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream"
Blank Space was Tay's second single off 1989. This one was one of my favorites. 
Also, I love the music video. It scared me at first but I think Tay did justice on looking like a crazy woman craving for a new love/man. Tay's like, 'so this is how some people think about me. Let's write a song about it.' And bam! She turned it into another hit. As always. ;)



  • Style
"You got that long hair slicked back, white t-shirt / and I got that good girl faith and a tight little skirt / and when we go crashing down, we come back everytime / coz we never go out of style"
Another favorite of mine! I don't care who's this song for anymore. I only care about the flawless lyrics that comes along a flawless melody. Of all tracks, I think this one's more 80's sound.

(I'm sorry. I couldn't find a full and HQ video, plus VS Fashion Show is her first live performance of Style.)





  • Out of the Woods
"The rest of the world is black and white but we were in screaming color"
I hated Out of the Woods when I first heard it. I couldn't stand it. So whenever I play the album, I skip it. Then one day I found myself singing some lyrics (I was surprised I even know it) and then I listened to it again and found myself repeating and liking it. I was completely surprised. But then again, it's Taylor Swift. 



  • All You Had to Do Was Stay
"People like you always want back the love they gave away / People like me want to believe you when you say you've changed"
Ugh, another favorite of mine. This was also memorable because Tay said on an interview that she kept hearing this weird high-pitched voice saying the word "stay" on a dream. That was an Aha! moment for me because I do wonder and a bit weirded out on the high-pitched "stay" on the song. Anyways, you'll get what I mean when you listen to the song. Unfortunately, due to copyrights I can't share you an original studio version so I decided to share a cover by a fan instead.



  • Shake It Off
"It's like I got this music in my mind saying it's gonna be alright"
I love this song! It's another song that I hated at first but grown to love and now can't help but dance with it. I tried to not listen to it on public but I can't so yeah, I always try my best to not dance that much.



  • I Wish You Would
"We're a crooked love in a straight line down / makes you want to run and hide / then it makes you turn right back around"
"2 am" is back! I love this song and the awesome guitar intro.

So this is kinda weird. I found this "male version" on Youtube. But it's totally Taylor, they just changed the pitch. XD 



  • Bad Blood
"Still got scars on my back from your knife"
Another hate-turned-love song. I think it's catchy and so..meaningful. It's like I wanna shout and point someone or at something while I sing along with this song. I love it. It's a great way to release your anger, for a change.

I'm sharing a drum cover this time. This is so cool. You can pretty much hear Bad Blood on the background too.



  • Wildest Dreams
"Say you'll see me again even if it's just in your wildest dreams"
This song is so smooth, I like the whisper-y way Tay sang this song and the "aah-ah" part like she was sighing. Love it.

I think this group did a great job in their cover performance.



  • How You Get the Girl
"Remind her how it used to be / Pictures in frames, of kisses on cheeks"
The first time I heard this song was on Tay's new Diet Coke commercial. I fell in love instantly even though it's just a snippet. I couldn't be happier when I finally heard the full song. I totally loved the guitar on the background. That's the closest thing to her old sound.



  • This Love
"This love is good / This love is bad / This love is alive back from the dead"
I didn't disliked This Love or loved it. It was okay for me. But it's slowly growing on me.



  • I Know Places
"They got the cages, they got the boxes / and guns / They are the hunters, we are the foxes / and we run"
I like the darkness of this song and the lyrics as well. It's another Taylor masterpiece.

Here's another "male version".



  • Clean
"The drought was the very worst / When the flowers that we'd grown together died of thirst" 
"Rain came pouring downwhen I was drowning that's when I can finally breathe"
I think this song has the best lyrics of all. I like the cleverness and moving lyrics. I love the entire song.

Here's a real male version!




Deluxe edition bonus tracks

  • Wonderland
"We found Wonderland / you and I got lost in it"
I didn't think pop could pull off a song about the dark world Wonderland (or the likes). But then again, it's Taylor.

Check out this band cover!



  • You Are In Love
"You can hear it in the silence / You can feel it on the way home / You could see it with the lights out / You are in love"
This song is one of my least favorite. But I do like the chorus part.

This is a high-pitched version.



  • New Romantics
"The best people in life are free"
Another least favorite but I could grow in it. The lyrics above is my fave part.



***

Swifties! It's your turn to mention your favorite songs!
What are your thoughts on the album?
Don't forget to share it on the comments below! :)

Stay tuned for my feature of 1989 Philippine album launch!






Long live,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!